Sunday, January 29, 2012

Simple French onion soup

Having my boys changed something with my taste buds and I absolutely love the taste of onions now, whereas before I hated them.  This is a recipe that I've adapted a bit from the Leinenkugel's recipe (which, by the way, was phenomenal!).  I made this for my in-laws while they were visiting, and since my father-in-law is lactose intolerant, I didn't carmelize the onions in butter.  What with all the cheese, I figured I could save him a little bit.  It is much easier to slice all the onions if you have a mandolin, but it is not necessary.

4-5 softball-sized sweet onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. (olive) oil
2 quarts beef broth (could sub chicken)
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. tarragon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 large slices of French or sourdough bread, toasted
1 c. grated Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese

In a large pan, heat oil over low heat.  Add onions and stir occasionally - the carmelization will take upwards of 45 minutes.  The key is to go low and slow so the onions get a nice brown color to them - they will reduce drastically.  When onions are all carmelized, add broth to pan, as well as thyme, tarragon, salt, and pepper.  Stir to combine and then ladle into 4 oven-safe bowls or crocks.  Float bread on top of onions, top with grated cheese, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Broil until cheese is melted and golden brown.  Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment