Friday, October 7, 2011

Easy (and I mean easy) enchiladas

One of my all-time favorite foods is enchiladas.  There is no end to the variations on the basic technique.  I almost always make mine with ground beef, though I recently tried them with chicken and they were fantastic.  I prefer the red sauce variety, so that is what you'll find here.  And you should know, I get my enchilada sauce from a mix packet.  Say what you will, but it is delicious!

1 packet (Lawry's) enchilada sauce seasoning packet
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
3 c. water
8 medium or house size flour tortillas
1 pound ground beef (or 2 1/2 c. shredded cooked chicken)
2 c. shredded (cheddar) cheese

Whatever toppings you want

Combine the seasonings, water, and tomato paste in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.  Meanwhile, cook the beef and drain off the fat.  Add 2/3 to 1 c. of the enchilada sauce to the meat and 1 c. of cheese.  Stir to combine and melt the cheese.

In the bottom of a greased glass baking dish, spread enough sauce to coat the bottom of the pan.  Lay a sheet of wax paper down, and score the meat mixture into quarters in the pan.  Place half of a quarter (in other words, 1/8 of the total mixture) along one edge of a tortilla, roll it tightly and place seam side down in the dish.  Repeat with 7 remaining tortillas.  Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and golden.  Serve hot.

Can be prepared the night before to the point of baking.  When it comes time for dinner, just pop in the oven for about 30 minutes.  These also freeze well after having been cooked.  To reheat, bake for20-30 minutes at 350 and serve hot.  If you desire the chicken filling, I used chicken I cut off a rotisserie chicken I bought from the deli at my grocery store.  It was flavorful and juicy (and frankly, I'm too lazy to shred it - I just sliced pieces off of the breasts and then diced it).

No comments:

Post a Comment