Friday, March 15, 2013

Healthier pudding mix cookies

When my 3-year-old requested cookies today, I decided to give the much lauded pudding mix cookies from Pinterest a go.  But I know that I would want more than just one or two cookies, and I really didn't want to go putting two sticks of butter in them.  I turned to pinterest and found the healthy baking substitutions pin, and away I went.  I also used coconut sugar instead of the traditional brown and white sugars, but I also already had it on hand.  If you don't have coconut sugar, don't run all over town looking for it, but I do have to say that with the coconut sugar, these were not cloyingly sweet as so many cookies are (to me at least).

Healthier pudding mix cookies
1/4 c. Greek yogurt
1 ripe banana
1 c. coconut sugar (or 3/4 c. brown sugar and 1/4 c. white sugar)
1 box of chocolate pudding mix (I used chocolate fudge)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. instant coffee crystals or strongly brewed coffe, cooled (optional)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/4 c. flour
optional toppings or mix-ins (sprinkles, sugars, chocolate chips, etc.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking soda; set aside.  In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the banana, yogurt, and sugar until well combined.  Add in the pudding mix and incorporate fully.  With mixer on, add eggs one at a time, then vanilla and coffee.  Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combined.  Place 1 inch dollops on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. (Oven times may vary, original recipe I adapted from called for 8-12).  Cookies are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

The texture of these cookies isn't very "cookie".  But it's not a cake, brownie, or muffin either.  I can't quite describe it.  But I'm sure that if you use traditional sugar in place of the coconut sugar, you will get something more traditionally "cookie," as the refined sugars will melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment